Monday, July 20, 2009

Work in Progress

We've lived in our home for almost 2 years now. Two summers ago when we first moved into the house, we were just married, just back from our honeymoon, about to start law school and I was about to start at a new school where I knew no one. I certainly didn't have decorating, much less setting up, my new (first) home. I made the house livable, but nothing special. Last summer, I had way too much cheerleading stuff to worry about decorating my house. Now that I'm NEVER coaching cheerleading again, I have time to do the fun decorating thing. I've never been very creative and I can't dream up cool ideas to do in my house on my own, but since i've began blogging and basically stalking other peoples blogs, I've gotten numerous amazing (and cost efficient!!) ideas. I'm excited to show what I've done, but keep in mind- I have a long way I plan on going.




Here is the front of our house. It's cute and plenty of space for us. We were so fortunate to find it at the time we did! This past spring I began gardening, so I have my little flower bed in front of the porch, even though you can't see it in the picture above. Here is my cute little Connery whining and trying to get out the front door while I was taking pictures.



The back porch is one of my favorite parts of our house. We bought the house with a screened-in porch and a tiny deck attached to it. My amazingly handy husband built onto the deck and made it into the huge area you see to the right. This picture really doesn't do it justice, but it's great. I can't wait to watch football games out there this coming fall!





I haven't really done much to the den and I don't really have a picture of it, only the fireplace- maybe next time. I kind of moved some furniture around this past week, we'll see if I end up liking it and keeping it. I did paint our last name onto a candle- I got the idea from someone else's blog- thanks Mary Catherine! My dining room runs into my den and my kitchen- very open floor plan. I adore polka dots, hence the place mats. I found those at TJ Maxx for $5 and had to have them! Too bad they don't really go. And you can't really see them, so sorry!!




This is what I've been working on the past two weeks- the boring half bath. I didn't take a before picture, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Not too bad for the first room I ever painted. I love black and pink, too. SO this is my way of getting it in the house without having it too much, ya know? Anyways, I painted the cabinets black, spray painted the light fixture (it used to be yucky brass, eww), and added some new decor. I like it, at least better than what was there before.


We're having hardwoods put in this week, well actually that wonderfully handy husband I was talking about earlier will be installing them with his dad, Waldo. I'll take some pictures of that, should be fun!



I'll leave you with a picture of my next project, the kitchen. I can't, for the life of me, think of how I want to decorate it, what theme, or even colors. Red is out, apparently when I changed my last name to Watts, I signed a contract to never in my life wear or use the color red in any capacity- all hail Clemson! I would gladly accept any and all ideas!!











P.S. I despise the white counter tops, but I'm stuck with them :-( oh well





1 comment:

Debra Dele said...

Love your "new" house! I know it's not so new anymore, but I hadn't seen it yet!

I love white cabinets in a kitchen. I know you have white countertops, so maybe that would be too much for you, but I love how clean and crisp white cabinets look. You could have that handy husband of yours cut out the middle of the top cabinets and insert glass so that you can see through and do a display of china or glasses. Did you put hardwoods in the kitchen? That might warm it up enough to do lighter cabinets... I love projects like this! Let me know what you decide doing! I can't wait to see the finished product! :)