Thursday, July 9, 2009

Nightmare

This is about the time during the summer I begin to dream about the beginning of my next school year. After the class I had this past year, I can't imagine they would be so kind to give me another perfect class. I believe I will receive quite the opposite. Which frightens me... Also in this great recession, I know that our class sizes will be astronomical. This is where my nightmare begins.
Let me paint the picture for you- I'm very excited, full of smiles, grand ideas in my head, dressed in a new outfit probably from Ann Taylor Loft, standing at my classroom door. The desks are set up with new names on the tops, my library is pristine and in order, my desk is surprisingly organized- it must be the first day of school. As all students and the occasional parent that can't seem to let go are seated, I begin to take attendance. 1, 2, 3, 4.....20, 21, 22 (ugh), 23 (uh-oh),...25, 26- ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? We normally only have 20-22. This is like the totals down the kindergarten hall- and they have assistants! During my planning, I happen to cross paths/hunt down a principal who tells me, yes, most of the 2nd grade teachers are starting with 26 students and that guess what?? A new student just registered, he's had some problems and is a little behind. So we think he'll be a perfect fit in your wonderful classroom, Katie. And don't worry about his behavior records- your class always seems to take care of those problem-makers. Lucky #27.

That's enough to make me wake up in a sweat.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I have no idea what you're worried about! This year is going to be the MOST FUN EVER! Especially if I get yanked out of therapy to go to court. Yaaaay!

I've found a Margarita before bed helps with the nightmares. Also- the new bite splint I'm getting for my TMJ pain that has TRIPLED in the past month should also help. And Cake. Lots of Cookies and Cake.