Thursday, February 25, 2010

Red Flags

I am NOT an expert on dating and relationships or better yet, how to make them work. I may have snagged my "Mr. Right" and so far things have been great, but I'm sure I just stumbled into that one! I also know that I used to be guilty of ignoring some tell tale signs that who I am dating is not right for me- or anyone else for that matter.

Thinking back to my dating experiences, I sometimes wish I had been a little bit stronger, stood up for myself more, and didn't put up with bad boy behavior. Especially knowing now what I didn't know back then- but hindsight is 20-20.

It's much easier to say that now. Now that I have found the person I'll share my life with, we are making a life together, and we are enjoying all that God gives us right now. I'm much more confident in myself now and know who I truly am. I would never put up with the amount of crap I did when I was younger.

So it bothers me when people ignore how their loved one is treating them. Controlling them. Manipulating them. Deceiving them. Disrespecting them. It especially hurts me when I love these people who are turning the blind eye. Who have so much going for them. Who are so wonderful they should be able to find the greatest guy ever. I, of course, want to take care of them and not let them get hurt. Sometimes I want to say, "Wake up!! Don't you see what he is doing?? Doesn't it make you mad? Do you think you deserve this? Do you think it will change when you get married because it WON'T!" But at the same time I don't want to push them away and have them dislike me because I don't like their significant other.

I also think so many times young women start to freak out after college and they aren't heading down the aisle. They all expected to be married by 25 and having kids by 27. They'll ignore almost anything just so they can stick to their schedule. They're so afraid to be alone that they allow someone else to treat them horribly.

Everyone has a plan of how they'd like their life to go. But just because we have a plan, doesn't make it His plan. God has a plan for everyone. But I also think God sends red flags, we just need to be a little more honest with ourselves about reading them.

2 comments:

Karen said...

This is such a great post. It's incredible to look back at that guy that you once thought was the definition of perfection and now think you're lucky that he stomped all over your heart. Nothing a few deep breaths, drinks with girlfriends, and a little personal growth in confidence and strength can't cure!

Fabulous points made. It's always hard to watch these "bad boys" and emotional relationships drown the ones we love.

The Watts' said...

Glad you like it! The problem is that so often we can be told when something is wrong, but we don't actually listen or learn the lesson until our heart gets broken.